Definition: Digital divide is a gap between tech savvy people having access to digital technology and those who don’t have this access or technology skills.
15% of U.S. seniors over 65 years of age are not tech savvy if not to say technophobic. The use of the Internet and technologies make them feel frustrated and can raise their anxiety resulting in high blood pressure and other chronic conditions. The COVID-19 pandemic and all its effects in the community made them feel even more isolated, experiencing physical, social, and psychological barriers. There is a need to make technologies more accessible to seniors and train them. Technologies such as a tablet or smartphone can considerably increase the quality of their lives and save them in case of emergency giving them access to remote medical care.
Not born with technologies and often living far from their children, seniors can’t get the necessary assistance which could help them to adapt to new technologies. These devices for seniors need to be reliable and easy to use with the possibility to get help with the setup remotely, which is not always the case.
CDC reports that loneliness and social isolation considerably contribute to the emergence of serious health conditions. Among health risks we can see:
- 4 times increase in premature death risk
- 50% higher risk of dementia
- 29% increased risk of heart disease and a 32% increased risk of stroke
- 68% higher risk of hospitalization and 57% higher probability of emergency department visits
Medical care delivery
During the pandemic the healthcare providers tried to switch non-urgent appointments to online settings, however, 40% of seniors are experiencing major problems with video. and audio calling. Being unfamiliar with this way of communication or having limited access to technology or the Internet. Besides, existing chronic conditions like arthritis, hearing loss, poor eyesights may become an additional obstacle to technology illiteracy making the use of smartphones and tablets with standard speakers and small buttons more challenging.
Making seniors comfortable with technologies
Using technology, helps seniors to stay safe. Stay in touch with a care circle and access different services including healthcare, even in remote areas. A tablet or smartphone allows them to access quality care at home without the need to travel to an appointment and wait in lines.Being trained how to use these devices can also help to fill out forms online and get test results that are more often sent online.
Advice to healthcare providers and organizations
- Provide seniors with pre-set up tablets and laptops
- Select user friendly devices with simple interface, so that seniors can easily access services, apps and other features effortlessly
- Give preference to devices with louder speakers, brighter displays, larger icons
- Make sure they have a reliable cellular connection
- Provide seniors with enhanced security options to avoid any type of scam.
- Install Teamviewer for remote device access by tech support who can resolve the configuration issues without involving seniors.
- Reduce seniors’ anxiety by assisting them with the use of technology
SenSights Care Solution
SenSights Care is a tablet solution for seniors with chronic conditions including COVID-19, Falling, Wandering, Diabetes, COPD/CHF and other illnesses. The pre-configured tablet with Internet connection helps seniors to stay connected with the healthcare providers in the region and their family. The tablet has big icons and a friendly user interface. People delivering the SenSights tablet provide special training to seniors aging in place or living in senior communities, long-term homes and other senior care facilities.
SenSights Care tablet also introduces Veyetals. Veyetals is a wellness app that allows seniors to scan their vital signs, with the simple use of the tablet camera, seniors can get their Blood Pressure, Heart Rate, Heart Rate Variability, Oxygen Level and other vital signs measured. The results can be automatically sent to an associated healthcare provider and family members. The Sensights Care tablet comes in a bundle with one Touchless Fall Detection sensor that not only detects falls without cameras and wearables, but also sends alerts to senior’s circle of care for timely intervention. It also creates insightful activity reports for further analysis by nurses and doctors.
In case of vital signs irregularities or emergency situations like a fall occurrence, the healthcare providers in the region or their care circle can contact the senior to establish how they are and make an in-home visit if necessary.
An upcoming feature being added to the tablet is our voice-enabled assistant “Hey Serah” This feature will allow the seniors to talk to the tablet and ask it to do some tasks. It will also send reminders to seniors.
We are a North American-based startup that provides comprehensive capabilities for home care organizations to manage their senior care services using state-of-art AI and 5G technologies and allow for a greater independence. We are uniquely positioned as we are the only one with a combination of
- Wandering GPS tracking and geofence creation
- Device-less or contactless wellness monitoring
- Ambient or touchless fall detection
- Comprehensive Mobile, Tablet and Web Solution for Seniors, Caregivers and Agencies
- Complete Out of box Telehealth and TeleMedicine Platform with integration with over 15+ smart devices and several leading EMRs/EHRs like PointClick Care, Cerner and many more in pipeline
- Over 40+ Data Scientists, Engineers and Medical Advisors to help integrate and improve digital transformation journey of our client with services, products and platform focused on senior market
We provide the best in class health platform for patient engagement, remote monitoring and virtual care. Patients are guided on smartphones, tablets and computers from preparation through recovery with the help of reminders, education and activity tracking. Providers can receive alerts, monitor patients and access analytics to deliver better care. Health systems use SenSights Care to improve patient satisfaction while reducing hospital length of stay, readmissions, and costs.
We would like to work with you to help you grow your business with our unique business model of sharing revenue with healthcare providers.
Book a consultation today to see how can help digitally transform your healthcare organization at https://sensights.ai/contact-us/
Learn more about our SenSights Care Solution on http://sensightscare.com/